Since before the beginning of modern motorized transportation, bikes have been humanity’s most innovative mode of transport. While it is convenient that we can take our cars, vans or trucks if we want to go on a long leisure trip, riding a bike provides a more thrilling sensation and adventure.
For us, we love to take the road less traveled and if we are going to do that, we are going to need a bike. If you are an enthusiastic cyclist, choosing your next destination is a pretty exciting thing to do.
Sometimes the road less traveled is a long way away and you will need to carry your bike to it. After all, you don’t want to pedal your way on long distances, right?
In those times that you have chosen a place that is quite far from where you are right now, having a bike rack attached to either the trunk or roof of your car is essential. TheYakima LiteRider 3 Hitch Bike Rack
is an ideal choice for that bike rack!
While searching for the best bicycle racks, the Yakima LiteRider 3 Hitch Bike Rack has certainly caught our attention. It has excellent ergonomics features that make it easy to use and bike-friendly.
Most of all, it doesn’t take a toll on your car! Here are the main key components of this Yakima bike rack that every cyclist will love.
The Yakima LiterRider 3 Bike Hitch Carrier is one of Yakima’s newest rack models. The LiteRider 3 is one of the lightest aluminum hitch racks on the market, weighing in at just over 20 pounds. It mounts solidly to vehicles with 1-¼” and 2” hitches.
The LiteRider 3 comes with enhanced features such as easy to use zip strips as opposed to the more traditional rubber chain straps. It also has enhanced cushioning in the cradles so bikes are held firmly and there is less chance of bike on bike or bike on vehicle damage.
This rack also comes with Yakima’s signature built-in bottle opener, so bikers can enjoy a cold beverage immediately upon arrival at their destination.
- Come fully assembled
- Weighs just over 20 lbs and is one of the most lightweight racks on the market
- Fits 1-¼” hitches and uses an adapter sleeve to fit a 2” hitch
- This hanging rack carries up to 3 bikes and up to 35 lbs per bike
- The durable aluminum construction resists rust and corrosion
- A handy SpeedKnob locks the rack to the vehicle for tool-free installation
- Dual arms give bikes support
- SuperCush anti-sway cradles hold the frame at 3 points
- A strap secures the front wheel so it doesn’t swivel
- Rack tilts away from vehicle for easy trunk access
- Same Key System (SKS) locks protect bikes and rack from theft
- Comes with an additional security cable
- Comes with a limited lifetime warranty
- Weighing in at just over 20 lbs the LiteRider 3 is one of the most lightweight aluminum hitch racks on the market which allows for easy installation and storage.
- This rack positions the bikes farther away from the vehicle than roof or trunk mounts so the vehicle is less likely have contact with the bikes. This prevents potential damage to both the bikes and the car.
- The SpeedKnob locks the rack solidly to the vehicle without the use of tools. It comes with two keys for locking which allow the knob to spin freely so it is unable to loosen. This protects the rack from possible theft.
- Dual arms offer bikes support and the SuperCush anti-sway cradles hold the frame at 3 points so there is less road vibration and no damage to the bikes or to the vehicle.
- An additional strap secures the front wheel so it won’t swivel during travel.
- By simply folding the arms down, lifting the knob, and tilting the rack away from the vehicle drivers have easy trunk access.
- The arms fold easily for periods of non-use or storage.
- Drivers can have peace of mind knowing the SKS locks and additional security cable protect both the bikes and the rack from theft.
- The signature built-in bottle openers allow for easy tailgating.
The LiteRider 3 offers many benefits but there are always caveats to consider prior to any purchase. Some considerations have been included in the information below to help consumers make the best purchase possible.
- Some customers felt that loading all 3 bikes onto the LiteRider 3 was challenging or not possible depending upon the size and style.
- A bike frame adapter bar may need to be purchased to help smaller bikes sit evenly on the cradles.
- Hanging cradle racks may not hold bikes as securely as platform style hitch racks.
- Due to the longer length of the vehicle extra care should be taken when backing up or parking in tight spaces.
- Because of the size and location, bikes could partly block the rear license plate, tail lights, or the driver’s view out of the rear window.
As a newer rack, there is less consumer feedback on this product but the feedback that has been given is overwhelmingly positive. Customers seem to appreciate the lightweight model and fast installation process.
Hitch racks can be a good option for customers who plan on frequent use. The fact that the bikes are positioned farther away from the vehicle makes the rack safer in terms of avoiding dents or scratches.
The swing away mechanism on this product allows for easier rear vehicle access.
Some customers seem to like how much easier the zip strips are to use than the traditional rubber chain straps. The padded cradles offer both support and protection to the frame of the bike as well as the vehicle.
The Yakima LiteRider 3 Bike Hitch Carrier also offers the security of SKS locks and an additional security cable so drivers can reach their destination without fear of theft.
Quick and simple to install
Installing this hitch rack in the trunk of your vehicle will never be a problem. Its trays are already fully assembled when you purchase this product, which is very convenient.
The only thing left for you to do is to attach the shelf brackets into the underside of the support mast. In attaching the rack to the vehicle, it has to be in an upright position.
You may need a friend or a buddy to help you with this, but trust us, it is all easy. It is a tool-free installation and comes with a manual, which you can download online!
Attaches very snugly
When it comes to this rack, you don’t have to worry that it will fall off from your vehicle either. Thanks to its tool-free and compact SpeedKnob technology, you can quickly attach and lock this rack to your car tightly.
It doesn’t matter how many bikes you hitch; this rack can hold them up without slipping a little bit.
Quick and easy to load and unload bikes
The convenience of loading and unloading your bike is one of the most important considerations when choosing a bike rack. For the Yakima LiteRide 3, it has got this piece all covered.
Its new ZipStrips technology can secure all of your bikes in the rack without moving an inch. It also has a quick-remove function that lets you take off your bike quickly.
Loading system that fits a variety of bike frames and bike sizes
Although this hitch mount bike rack is only available in a 2-bike capacity, it is still an ideal choice for cyclists. It has a lightweight and durable aluminum tray that can accommodate several bike sizes and frames.
The SuperCush ZipStrip technology that Yakima uses enables the convenient fitting of a variety of bike types with ease. Also, it has both 1.25 inch and 2-inch size hitch receivers, perfect for both SUVs and sedans!
Secure Locking system
One of the worries of many cyclists is that their rack may not be secure enough for their bikes. The possibility of someone stealing your bike is not a far-fetched idea since your bicycle is certainly not cheap either.
But you can let go of all of your anxiety if you have the Yakima Yakima LiteRider 3.
It has an integrated SKS LockDown Security Cable system that ensures the protection of your bikes from unauthorized hands. And the best thing about this system is that you have full control over it!
Designed to stop damage
With all of these features on hand, this hitch mount bike rack can guarantee that your bikes will all be snugly and comfortable even if you are traveling over hard and difficult terrains.
The straps and cables can wrap your bicycles entirely to prevent shocks and unwanted movements.
Other distinct components
The Yakima LiteRider 3 Hitch Bike Rack has a tilt-away feature to enable the rear-of-vehicle access. Of course, it wouldn’t be a Yakima product if doesn’t have the signature bottle opener, which comes handy if you want to enjoy a cold drink after a long ride.
The Yakima LiteRider 3 Hitch Bike Rack is an ideal and secure system of transporting your bike. It fits perfectly in the trunk of any vehicles, and it has sufficient space to comfortably carry two bikes.
If you are planning a solo trip or with a friend, this is sufficient capacity already!
When it comes to securing your bike, this bike rack employs different technologies so that unnecessary movement and wobbling won’t take place. Moreover, it is designed so that you can unload and load your bike with ease. And the best part of it, this hitch rack is theft-proof!