The Yakima Frontloader Roof Mount Bike Rack offers a straightforward, pre-assembled design that fits a wide range of bikes. It is easy to install and fits onto almost any type of crossbar with no adapters needed.
Front wheel removal is unnecessary which saves consumers time and hassle so they can focus on getting where they need to go.
The Yakima Frontloader Roof Mount Bike Rack offers a versatile, generally low cost alternative to other types of bike racks. Bikes are held securely without obstructing the driver’s field of vision and rear vehicle access is not blocked.
There is less likelihood of the bikes coming into contact with the vehicle which protects the car from dents or scratches.
Yakima Frontloader Roof Mount Bike Rack Features:
- Upright rack holds 1 bike with no front wheel removal necessary
- No tools or assembly required
- Fits easily onto most round, square, or factory bars with no adapter necessary
- Fits 20” to 29” wheels, mountain bikes, and road bike wheels
- The rack has no contact with the bike frame which protects the bike’s paint job
- No issues handling disc brakes, thru axles, or full suspension
- Comes with an integrated cable lock for security which stores easily when not in use
- Comes with a limited lifetime warranty
- Folds flat when not in use
Yakima Frontloader Roof Mount Bike Rack Pros
- This rack comes fully pre-assembled right out of the box without any extra hardware so there are no tools required .
- The rack fits directly onto round, square, and factory bars with no adapters required so installation is quick and painless.
- The front tire is held by adjustable arms and the outermost arm has a sliding wheel grip that can be easily adapted to fit most tires. The rear wheel is held in place by a wheel strap. This system makes loading and unloading the bike a seamless process.
- An easily adjustable sliding wheel tray fits a wide range of bike lengths and the rack carries the complete bike so no front wheel removal is necessary.
- An adjustable knob easily locks the wheel into place, allowing bikers to be on the road in less than 10 minutes.
- The rack has no contact with the bike frame itself so there isn’t concern of the paint being scratched.
- An integrated security cable keeps bikes safe from being stolen.
- The rack folds flat when not in use which cuts down on wind resistance and make it simple to store. The rack can quickly be taken on and off the crossbars when it is not in use.
Yakima Frontloader Roof Mount Bike Rack Cons
When considering the design and functionality of any bike rack, there are always downsides to consider prior to purchase. Frequency of use, the type of vehicle, and the design of the bike are all things to be considered before purchasing any bike rack.
Common complaints about this rack have been provided in the information below.
- The bike must be lifted overhead to install onto the top of the vehicle. This could be an issue for the vertically challenged and could be more difficult with taller vehicles.
- The knob used to tighten the front wheel can become stripped over time. The plastic threads inside the knob can be worn out easily if the knob is over-tightened.
- On certain kinds of bikes, such as mountain bikes, the rear strap may not be long enough.
- The Same Key System (SKS) locks do not come with the rack and must be purchased separately.
- Extra care must be taken when driving or parking in tight spaces because of the extra vehicle height. Driving in a low clearance space such as a parking garage or even under low-hanging branches could damage both the bikes and the vehicle.
- The wind resistance from the overhead bike will reduce the aerodynamics of the vehicle so this could affect the overall gas mileage.
Feedback for this product was mostly positive with consumers appreciating that it comes pre-assembled and that no front wheel removal is necessary. About sixty percent of consumers gave it the highest rating possible and felt the value matched or exceeded the price.
The easy locking mechanisms keep the bike stable and allow for quick loading and unloading. And because the bike is not blocking the driver’s field of vision it may make driving with the bike safer and more convenient.
The quick installation, quality design, moderate pricing, and limited lifetime warranty make this a good buy for the consumer. The since the Yakima Frontloader Roof Mount Bike Rack offers an integrated cable lock for security there is little concern of the bike being stolen.