The Surco BT300 3-Bike Spare Tire Bike Rack is made of heavy duty steel construction and can transport up to 3 bikes at once. The mounting hardware is installed behind the spare tire and acts as a base for the bike rack arm to fasten to.
This holds the rack solidly in places and limits road vibration or rattling.
The Surco BT300 3-Bike Spare Tire Bike Rack offers safety and stability to both the bikes and the vehicle. And because the bike rack arm can be uninstalled from the base, it is easy to remove during periods of non-use and may be more convenient for recreational bikers.
Surco BT300 3-Bike Spare Tire Bike Rack Features
● Attaches to any spare tire using a heavy duty mounting plate
● Transports up to 3 bikes on a hanging rack
● Designed using sturdy steel construction and a powder-coated finish
● Locking rack secures and locks bikes to the rack
● Bikes held firmly in non-scratch padded plates
● Comes with a 90 day warranty
Surco BT300 3-Bike Spare Tire Bike Rack Pros
- The rack attaches solidly to any spare tire with limited rattling and road vibration.
- This rack is very affordable, has a high quality build, and offers the convenience of carrying up to 3 bikes at once.
- The spare tire has to be removed initially but once the back plate is installed it can remain in place so repeated installing and uninstalling is not necessary.
- The bikes can be loaded with only a moderate amount of lifting.
- The sturdy steel construction and non-scratch padded plates keep the bikes mounted solidly while on the road. This reduces the risk of bike-on-bike damage.
- The bike frames are tightened to the rack with two securing bolts. One of the bolts comes with a key included and can be locked, which helps keep the bikes safe from theft.
- The bikes are placed farther away from the vehicle which makes them less likely to damage the vehicle.
- Because it is mounted to the spare tire, bikers still have rear vehicle access.
- The rack arm can easily be removed when it is not being used while the mounting gear stays in place. This makes it easy to store the rack during periods of non-use.
Surco BT300 3-Bike Spare Tire Bike Rack Cons
There was a lot of highly positive feedback on this product with many consumers appreciating the high-quality build and safety features of the rack.
There are always pros and cons to consider when assessing the features and overall convenience of any product. Some of the most common complaints about this rack are listed in the information below.
- Some consumers felt installing the mounting plate took a long time and that the product could have been designed for more efficiency.
- The threaded bolts used for clamping the bikes are not as easy to use as the strap-down model, which can make loading and unloading more time-consuming.
- Some bike frames may require a bike adapter bar for mounting which will have to be purchased separately.
- Because of the location on the vehicle, when fully loaded the rack may obstruct taillights, the rear license plate, or the driver’s view out of the rear window.
- Drivers should be aware of the vehicle’s extended length when reversing or parking in tight spaces.
- Some consumers felt the manufacturer designed the slots too close together, making it difficult to load 3 adult bikes onto the rack at the same time.
- The rack will not fold up against the vehicle when it is not being used and the spare tire cover cannot be used when the rack is installed.
Many consumers appreciate the sturdiness of this rack and commented how safe they felt their bikes were even when driving on the highway. The bikes are held very securely between non-scratch padded plates and the locking pad on top locks the bikes to the rack so bikers can rest easy from fear of theft.
Efficiency and convenience are considerations when purchasing a bike rack. Some consumers found installing the mounting plate tedious and had difficulty screwing and unscrewing certain hardware.
And the extended length of the vehicle should also be considered when reversing or parking in tight spaces.
Overall, this bike rack is a good buy for consumers who are looking for a reasonably priced, solid rack to keep their bikes safe from theft and damage and do not mind spending a little extra time on the installation.
And because the Surco BT300 3-Bike Spare Tire Bike Rack can be removed from the vehicle while the mounting gear stays put, it can easily be stored for periods of non-use.